Thursday, December 12, 2013

music fans are the best/worst: tales from the Pokey LaFarge show

As you may have absorbed if you have read any of my concert blogs, my posts are usually 15% about the amazing musicians that I see and then the other 85%about the ridiculous goings on off stage. [Tangent: The amount of time it took for me to do that math in my head is atrocious.] Sometimes the people watching is equally entertaining to someone like me who is easily distracted.

Last night was my third time in the span of a year seeing Pokey LaFarge live [Tangent: You may remember me getting musically introduced to him on New Years with Old Crow.]. I love Mister LaFarge and with his pristine wingtips and Dapper Dan hair, he can only be described as debonair. Surrounded by the most bad ass bells n' whistles washboard and an amazing backing band, his sound bounces from era to era  in a completely timeless way and is of the quality of someone like Jerry Lee Lewis or Buddy Holly.

Because of this eclectic sound, I came to expect a mixed bag of attendees. However, apparently the only people in my little corner of the side stage were those in the underage set. Ugh. Lucky me. [Tangent: Oh, my bad there was one guy of legal drinking age. I know this because he was drinking a PBR and kept making eye contact and then cheersing strangers around the venue who were also shared his taste in beverages. How Bizarre.]

There is nothing that makes me feel quite as ancient as being surrounded by people with humongous black X's on their hands at a show. I guess this is what I get for thinking I could still hang and go see a band during the traditional work week. I guess the only think that could possibly make my gray strands glow brighter was heaving one of the people near me yell, "THAT'S MY BIRTHDAY!" when Pokey sang the following lyric during What The Rain will Bring:

"Back in '93
The Mississippi had her way with me..."

Oh sweet lord- I can recite episodes of Full House that are older than these kiddos. Half of the youngins  were super cordial and seemed genuinely interested in the show so they didn't bother me much. In fact it made me happy that young people had such broad musical taste. [Tangent: They were WAY cooler that when I was that age.]  It wasn't until too very annoying millennials nudged their way to be basically on top of me for the majority of the main act that I decided that the intentional elbowing was about to commence. [Tangent: If you stand on top of me during a show, be forewarned that I may give you subtle hints to move slightly. Ex: I may slowly cattle prod you to the side with my chair or feel the need to gesture wildly with my hands so I am elbowing you once every 10-15 seconds. ] 

This ire kicked into high gear once I overheard one of the girls say that she had no interest in the act and had never heard of him...and then she just snapchatted and texted away on her phone as she bobbed her head. REALLY!?!? You nudged your way to the front to just take selfies?!?!? I know this sounds crazy because I am in a polygamous relationship with my electronics. I'm a blogger and love social media as much as the next person, but damned people soak it in and STOP instant messaging and checking Facebook during shows. Post your instagram pictures on the toilet later like a normal person. [Tangent: As you can see, your smartphone pics will likely come out blurry anyway.]  FOR PETE'S SAKE- BE PRESENT IN THE MOMENT AND  ENJOY THE SHOW! IT WILL BE OK!!!


6 comments:

  1. I was there! With the other "OK" people in the middle-ish. :) Wish I'd seen you! Fantastic show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WISH I HAD SEEN YOU! Yeah, I don't know how I ended up with all the kiddos.

      Delete
  2. Pokey and you deserve better than that. To Hell with all of them. To Hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were there to show pokey love with me!

      Delete
  3. i don't get when people take iphone photo after iphone photo at a show. i mean, i get snap one to post on instagram, i do that. but taking pictures the whole time? what are they going to DO with them? print them? that bugs me so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually feel awkward. I will take a few pictures in case I wanna blog about it and then put my phone away. Most of the time, the lighting renders pictures really weird and everyone looks faceless. Overall, they are not good.

      Delete

I thrive on comments, so what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...