Since being in my first wedding 10 years ago, I have certainly run the gammut of dresses and had my fair share of prom hair. Here's a cavalcade of my bridesmaid looks thusfar!
1. Champagne...have it handy. It an calm a bride and ease stress....and can pretty much solve any issue.
2. Have food around. [Tangent: See #1, you will need something on your belly)
3. Pick your battles and don't bitch about the dress. Ok, I totally get it...you are paying for a dress normally that you will never ever ever wear again. [Tangent: No matter how many times someone tells you that you can hem a dress and wear it again...know that probably isn't going to happen. If you are in a traditional bridesmaid's dress...the fabric is pretty much guaranteed to be something that isn't appropriate for anything other than a wedding. Unless you go to a lot of proms recreationally...then I worry about your psyche.] That's kind of par for the course of being in a wedding. If you can't shell out the money, politely decline the invite...because no bride wants to hear you bitch.
4. If you have a long dress, don't wear heels..in fact wear glorified bedroom slippers if you wish...no one is gonna know and your tootsies will thank you. Unless of course the bride cares, then sucks for ya.
5. Don't blow all your budget on alterations. Find a friend of family member that sews. That stuff can make a $100 dress easily $200.
Hope that helps. This one seems pretty low key and I'll get to wear my flea market cowboy boots with a dress that makes me look like an adorable cupcake! It's gonna be a pinterest-y country chic wedding, ya'll! Thanks Alex and David for including me in the fun.