The first picture that popped up, amid a rainbow of joyous confetti and balloons and gratuitous exclamation points, was a picture of my brother, now deceased, and the thoughtfully constructed Facebook post that I posted the day after he passed away.
It also reminded me that is pretty much how life works and it helped me decide that would be my mantra for 2015. In keeping with the Project Runway theme from the last 2 years. would be "One day you're in...and the next day you're out."
Life is cyclical and weird and randomly funny at times, so there no telling when you will be in and out of earthly favor, so staying balanced has been my saving grace. I know it sounds like a bunch of bullshit, so I guess my mantra will be just to be prepared and be open to try to bask in good whenever possible as stated so eloquently by my America's girl crush and genetic miracle, Heidi Klum. It's something I have to remind myself almost daily to avoid focusing too much energy on being "out".
As I remember my brother, I remember the last meal I shared with him. My mother and brother and Jamie and I all went to eat steak to celebrate the good things the previous work had brought. I had gotten a job that I was truly excited about [Tangent: ...and still am!] and we had learned that my sister was going to have a boy [Tangent: and how. my nephew is only 3 months old and weighs 18 lbs. Good god.]. Everyone was really happy and my brother had just come back from camping, so was in a really good mood. These are the moments I should have basked in more. I wish I could remember more, because looking back- I remember very little other than that everyone there was happy.
I miss my brother, and it bums me out whenever I think about the fact that he died way too early. There's no other way around it, but to say it sucks, but I try to remind myself to celebrate in equal measure all the amazing experiences I soaked up this year. There was some major good sprinkled in. [Tangent: I like to call it finding diamonds in dog shit, because I am a classy dame]
- I started writing monthly for Nerds and Nomsense
- I went to California and attended my first NBA game and won some money betting on ponies.
- Blogwise, I surpassed 500 blogs and a million views and got a mini redesign/facelift.
- I saw a bunch of live music: Jake Bugg, Billy Joel , the Weezer Blue album show, The Avett Brothers at Americana Fest, Tom Petty, First Aid Kit.
- I started my current job, which I love- doing social media and outreach work with a disability nonprofit.
- I saw a bunch of awesome comedy: I attended the Wild West Comedy Fest and saw a live taping of @midnight as well as Vince Vaughn doing a panel with The Lonely Island. Then I saw Doug Benson do another Doug Loves Movies taping later in the year.
- I got to spend a week at ARE camp with some of my favorite people.
- I started reviewing Netflix documentaries I love each month, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite things.
- I got a new nephew, Ollie James, who I am pretty obsessed with.
- I went to some musicals at TPAC for the first time in YEARS! [Tangent: Thanks employee discount!] Evil Dead: The Musical, Chicago and THE BOOK OF MORMON on opening night!!!
- I got to visit the set of Nashville with my friend who works on the show!
What good things did you do this year? What's your mantra?